January 28, 2010
To members of the Roane County CAG,
1. Due to demands on the TVA power production system, and cold temperatures, it will be necessary for units at the Kingston Fossil Plant (KIF) to go online Saturday, January 30, 2010, to help meet the need for electricity throughout the system.
We anticipate having to turn units on and off during the next month or so, but they will only remain on for as long as needed to meet demand. Since the scrubber is not operational yet, the units will run through the south stacks.
Any fly ash produced from the plant will go through the normal sluicing process. Due to the anticipated short term of the units being on, the additional fly ash introduced into the system will not cause an undue burden to the sluicing process.
TVA has notified the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation of this action and a representative from TDEC will be present to observe the start-up. We have shared this information with residents living across from the plant along Swan Pond Road.
Please call me if you have questions.
2. Mayse Construction will be working in the following areas beginning February 1, 2010:
· Easement along US 70 - Clearing right-of-way (ROW) and setting up directional drilling operations.
· Intersection US 70 and Swan Pond Road – Clearing ROW and setting up boring operation under I-40.
· ROW along Swan Pond Road from I-40 underpass – Installing water line north toward ash recovery project.
· Easement along the church slough (north of the first intersection of SP Road and SP Circle Road) – Installing water line.
***Note: All work is subject to weather delays, but we will work hard to stay on schedule. Some activities may require partial lane closures. Flagman will direct traffic around activity. No complete road blockages will be required.
These are the activities Mayse Construction will be performing over the next few weeks. They will be informing the public through message boards and signage.
Katie Bell Kline
Senior Manager, Community Relations
Tennessee Valley Authority